16 February 2013

Down the Lonely Road

Fitting title, is it not?

I'll be writing my third novel pretty soon. (Actually, third NOVELLA, to be precise.)

I've written technically 4 novellas. 2 in NaNoWriMos, 2011 and 2012, and one in the interval between both of those.

Alas, I was an idiot and didn't back up that last one. And a virus wiped it out. Sic transit gloria novelli, right? I don't have the time, energy, or devotion I once did to rewrite it.

As a result, let's say I've written 3 novels. They are:

A Forgotten Legacy (Nov. 2011) about a group of kids who find an obscure pirate's treasure and unrealistically island-hopping across the Pacific.

The Dead Ascending (Dec. 2011 to Feb. 2012) was about a young laddie in the 1700s who is apprenticed and discovers the cure to reanimation and how it ties in to the local asylum.

The Chronicler (Nov. 2012) is about an immortal group of people who are fighting this battle and whatnot. I technically haven't finished it. It's much too complicated to finish. I went in over my head. Think LOST. I had an ensemble cast of 15 immortal characters telling their life stories and wisdom. Disastrous.

So each novel has been different in its own way. I like looking between the two novels and comparing differences in my writing style. Call me narcissistic.

So this third novel will be based off the Bourne movies and Fringe. It's a dystopia. I'm not quite sure how I'll handle it. The trouble with me is that I have too many ideas and not enough time/interest to use them. In my computer hard drive I have a 20-page document titled, "Ideas". It's where I place ideas that are potential NaNos, short stories, poems, or anything else.

So that's why I quote Charlie Gordon from Flowers for Algernon when I say,

"There are so many doors to open."

Indeed, Charlie, indeed. 


I'll let you readers posted. In fact, I may post large tracts of the novel in here. But don't be surprised if I don't finish it, actually. I don't finish a lot of things anymore. But let's believe Olivia Dunham when she says,

"In the end I have to believe in hope, right?"


Do you agree? Sound off below in the comments.

To the next!
-Rob

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't post a lot of it... Because if you did and it turned out to be awesome then it'd be really hard to get money for it. If that's your thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course not. That's my main problem on here. But I'll post snippets, of course.

    ReplyDelete