23 March 2013

I lie awake and miss you...pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere...

Apologies for the abrupt and random title. I'm still recuperating from the past couple of days.

I'm gonna be a Modernist and include random song lyrics in the middle of this post like a stream-of-consciousness novel. And I HATE stream-of-consciousness. With a burning passion. But it's late, today was particularly trying, and so have the past days. So let's go over them, shall we?

Ready for a long-winded life story for the past two weeks? :)

First off, Spring Break is here. HUZZAH. Praise the Lord. 10 days for peace, joy, sadness, Easter, Friday, and lots of other stuff besides.

Today I was at the ELA-JEA Write Off. (ELA JEA, for all the uninitiated, is the Eastern Los Angeles County Journalism Education Association Write Off competition. There.)

I'd like to make myself believe that planet Earth turns slowly...

I was in the Novice News group, where we had to hear my journalism teacher and some people give forth statements about a case that's currently going on. As a mark of respect, I won't talk about it. Suffice it to say it was very interesting and fun to write.

Bad part? I wrote in PENCIL. Graphite. Particles of a carbon allotrope. And I was supposed to write in pen.

I'm just beginning to see...that I'm on my way!

So that went well. For the last 10 minutes of the hour period I was sitting there in ennui, waiting for time to run out. Then as I turn it in I realise I have written in the entirely wrong media possible. *facepalm*


I'm glad I got the experience, at least. Most people went for extra credit. I just went for the fun and games, and to see what it would look like.

Then today was also my brother's birthday! Congratulazione, Richard, if you read this. But I've told you that five times today. As of present he and his friends are in the other wing of the house, in his room. So hurray for that.

As to Catechism, I should have gone today, but I didn't for the second week in a row, because I assumed I was going to be at the write-offs for the awards. But then at home I got a horrible headache and slept for 3 hours, missing the awards. Oh well. And then I have to go to a Renaissance Faire on the penultimate meeting. I feel horribly guilty. But then again, the class has been watching The Passion, which is not the nicest movie to watch. So I don't feel I've missed much.

(As to the Renaissance Faire, I will totally take pictures, and it'll be my first opportunity to use pictures as a media here on InfiniteMind. Be happy. It's a milestone. I'm getting there, to be adept at technology.)

Did you write the Book of Love and do you have faith in God above? (If the Bible tells you so) Do you believe in rock n' roll? Can music save your mortal soul? 

Now, to the vacation. I get the lovely days of March 23rd (today!), 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th, 31st, and the 1st of April off. Technically I go back on the First, but I have a physical that day. First in like 3 years. Hopefully nothing's wrong, so there is that. Extra day.

Pretend you're not alone...like you are centre stage on Broadway...'Cause when you're on your own, a little opera goes a long way...

During the break, we're getting the floors fixed. You see, when we bought our loverly home 3 years ago, it was all carpeted. Even the kitchen, which was just AWFUL.


Which of course we removed immediately, but the bedrooms kept their carpets, even though I've hated them. But now we're getting them removed from the rooms. Long job, which means we're moving everything into the garage. It'll take two days. Originally it was gonna be Monday-Tuesday, but the guy changed his mind and is gonna do it Wednesday-Thursday. Either way, we're camping out in the garage!

I'm getting a new desk. It's epic! MICKE, from IKEA. How I love the Swedish and their made-in-China products. (I'm so unfair. It's made-in-Vietnam, too. I'm so mean and Chinacentric.)

Last night it was so good, I felt like crying, felt like crying...

Now for some rather academic stuff.
I got programmed for next year, sophomore year. 2 APs, 1 honors class, 1 extracurricular activity, and yeah. After the disappointment that is my third through sixth period classes, I'm excited for these classes.

AP Chemistry, AP World (by the way, I'm planning to challenge the AP Euro exam. Wish me luck.) Honors English 3-4, French, Journalism 1-2, Trig/Precalculus (I'd discuss that but it's too painful and boring), and PE.

The class I'm easily looking forward to the most is Honors English 3-4, or British Literature! :)

It was fiddle-de-dum and fiddle-de-dee and the Dancing Bear ran away with me...

I LOVE British Literature. Give me Dante, Hemingway, and Jonathan Swift - and you can keep Dante and Hemingway. (To be sure, Irish authors are also good, and Swift was technically Irish. Fine. British-Irish literature is awesome.)

I haven't read any of the female writers besides like Elizabeth Browning and one of Bronte's books, because I'm a sexist b-----d. No, actually, to be honest, they all feel like they have the same plot. And the titles are REPETITIVE. Sense and Sensibility. Pride and Prejudice. I like alliteration, but that's a little killing it.

Now, let's discuss tests.

I've come to realise that high school is nothing more than a myriad of tests, more or less 4 a week, in all classes. So last week, for example, I had a Health test Monday, Chemistry on Tuesday (which I'll touch on,) Mythology on Wednesday, Algebra II yesterday.

Then I discovered that my castles stand upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand...

Chemistry didn't turn out so good. A C+. Still, that is more than can be said for some people. But of course, my brilliant friend Gabriel (and some other people) got perfect papers, or just about. Maths is just not my strong suit. It was stoichiometry. Fun to spell, NOT FUN to do.

Incidentally, I'm not sure why I'm taking AP Chemistry, or any AP science down the line. I'm gonna major in comparative literature, so...well, at least it'll get me in Columbia or Berkeley. :) With the responsibility of freshman rep for CSF (I know. Freshman rep. So big and important.) hopefully I'll get there!

As to mythology (aka Honors English) that was EASY. It was open-notes, I only used them once. (Damn you, Epimetheus!)
The years go by, as quickly as a wink! Enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!

We're working on a "commercial" for English. Turn a modern-day product into a commercial with a Greek spiel. Think Percy Jackson. So we have SOBESSEUS (pun on Sobe Energy Drink and Odysseus). It's gonna be so much fun. Hopefully. 


I think that's it, really. As you can see, a lot going on. Very busy. So, until next time, I'll leave you with this to chew on:
Is this the ROB life? Is this MIRANDAsy? Caught in a landslide...no escape from reality...

To the next!
-Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment