08 June 2013

A Quote Worth Reflecting On

From Cyrano de Bergerac  (movie and play):

DE GUICHE: (recovering his self-control after being insulted by Cyrano) Have you read Don Quixote?
CYRANO: I have - and found myself the hero.
DE GUICHE: Be so good as to read once more the chapter of the windmills.
CYRANO: Chapter Thirteen!
DE GUICHE: Windmills, remember, if you fight with them -
CYRANO: My enemies change, then, with every wind?
DE GUICHE: - they may swing round their huge arms and cast you down into the mire!
CYRANO: Or up - among the stars!


I read this play back in December and was immediately taken with. I can identify with Cyrano in so many ways. Perhaps I've never written love poems under the guise of a friend to a girl I've loved, but I can see myself being Cyrano.

You've got a little something
on your face there... *runs*
The above quote is very interesting. It shows Cyrano's "insolence" to deGuiche, the Duke in the play, or Count at the least (why is it French noblemen are always evil?) but it shows hope and inspiring.

de Guiche assumes that Cyrano will meet his match one day but Cyrano remains optimistic he won't. Oddly enough, both happen to him.

Cyrano meets his match (assumed to be one of his enemies, who drops wood on his head) but yet ends up "amongst the stars" (i.e. the exalted Roxane's arms, who knows finally that he loved her).

Just something to think about. I'll talk more about Quixote (or Quixada) one day -- the book's hilarious and worth discussing.

And I recommend that anyone interested in a short, quick read (took me an hour) and wants some swashbuckling, dramatic hammy action, wit and wisdom, and sad melodrama, read Cyrano. Here's the free eBook, courtesy of Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1254/1254-h/1254-h.htm

-Rob

(Blog Note: I originally had this post replaced with the opening prologue of a story I'm working on. To view it, go to the pages bar right above this post, and click on "The Monologue", the last tab.)

No comments:

Post a Comment